Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Liberal In The Armor At ESPN

From Yahoo :

The ESPN editor axed over an offensive headline in reference to New York Knicks star Jeremy Lin insists he meant no harm."This had nothing to do with me being cute or punny," Anthony Federico said in an interview with the New York Daily News."I'm so sorry that I offended people," he added. "I'm so sorry if I offended Jeremy."Federico's headline -- "Chink in the Armor: Jeremy Lin's 9 Turnovers Cost Knicks in Streak-stopping Loss to Hornets" -- was posted on ESPN's mobile site at 2:30 a.m. on Saturday and taken down about half an hour later.ESPN fired the 28-year-old editor on Sunday and issued an apology, noting it was aware of a pair of other "offensive and inappropriate" comments on the sports network's various outlets. In addition, the channel suspended ESPNEWS anchor Max Bretos for 30 days following his on-air use of the slur.
'A chink in the armor' is a phrase I have heard all my life to describe someones weakness.Sportscasters especially have used this well known euphemism to add color to their broadcast.In fact I am pretty sure I have heard this phrase used to describe Tiger Woods golf game over the past few years,who is also of Asian descent and no one has cried racism over its use.

Their is nothing inherently racist in the phrase,'a chink in the armor.'It is clear that neither,Anthony Fedrico,nor Max Bretos intended any racial slur against Jermy Lin.The only people who are injecting racism into this phrase are the politically correct crowd and ESPN/Disney.

For ESPN/Disney to destroy Anthony Fedrico's career over this is disgusting.I hope Mr. Fedrico retains an attorney and sues the ears off the Mouse.

No comments: