Saturday, January 7, 2012

Federal Regulations Halts Birds Migration South

From The Assoicated Press:
Ten young whooping cranes and the bird-like plane they think is their mother had flown more than halfway to their winter home in Florida when federal regulators stepped in.
Now the birds and the plane are grounded in Alabama while the Federal Aviation Administration investigates whether the journey violates regulations because the pilot was being paid by a conservation group to lead the cranes on their first migration instead of working for free.
FAA regulations say only pilots with commercial pilot licenses can fly for hire. The pilots of Operation Migration's plane are instead licensed to fly sport aircraft because that's the category of aircraft that the group's small, open plane with its rear propeller and bird-like wings falls under. FAA regulations also prohibit sport aircraft - which are sometimes of exotic design - from being flown to benefit a business or charity.
The rules are aimed, in part, at preventing businesses or charities from taking passengers for joyrides in sometimes risky planes.
"That's a valid rule. They shouldn't be hired to do that. But it wasn't written, I believe, to stop a wildlife reintroduction," Joe Duff, an Operation Migration co-founder and one of its pilots, said. The conservation group has agreed voluntarily to stop flying and has applied to FAA for a waiver.
No,Mr. Duff,it is not a "valid rule."This is the 'Nanny State',where the state decides for us what risks we may or may not take.That's not liberty,but rather a soft form of tyranny.

Under liberty,my life is my own,it does not belong to the state.I make my own decisions.I assume the responsibility of what risks to take with my own life and bear the consequences of those decisions.If I am free,then I have the right,not only to succeed in life,but to fail and do stupid things also.

If I cannot judge for myself that an open air cockpit,with a rear propeller,and with bird like wings is more risky to fly in than a cessna or a 747,maybe the government shouldn't trust me with a knife and fork either.

  

No comments: